Auditorium (former Church of the Holy Souls)


Auditorium (former Church of the Holy Souls)
The Church of the Holy Souls in Purgatory - located on the main road of the village, called the "doughnut" for its ring shape, - has, since 1991, been the Auditorium and regularly hosts both musical and theatrical performances, film screenings, exhibitions and conferences. It is presumed to have been built in the late 17th century and was rebuilt soon after, with contributions from both...

Church of San Giovanni Battista


Church of San Giovanni Battista
The small church dedicated to St. John the Baptist is located along Via Silla. We do not know the exact year of its construction but it is mentioned for the first time in the report of the pastoral visit of 1612.  We can therefore conclude that the date of 1630 (MDCXXX) - located on the portal - and also that contained in the inscription affixed to the frame of the facade - recalling that in...

Church of St. Rocco or Madonna del Carmine


Church of St. Rocco or Madonna del Carmine
The sacred building, located on the slope of San Rocco, near the piazza of the same name, is known as the Carmelite church, since it is the seat of the brotherhood of the same name - guardians of the statue of the Madonna del Carmine, who is particularly venerated in the village. In fact it is celebrated on the third Sunday of July with a solemn procession through the narrow streets of the...

Church of St. Antonio Abate


Church of St. Antonio Abate
The church, dedicated to Saint Anthony Abbot, is called ‘Barone’ by the inhabitants of Scanno, mainly to distinguish it from that of Saint Anthony of Padua who is celebrated on June 13th.  It was originally outside the primitive walls, which in medieval times encircled the upper part of the village, the Vecchia Terrra, which was the original core of the village. It was founded - presumably...

Church of St. Antonio da Padova


Church of St. Antonio da Padova
The church, dedicated to the saint from Padua, is located in the piazza  between Viale del Lago and Viale degli Alpini - in the neighbourhood of De Contra.  It was originally, together with the adjoining convent, outside the inhabited area of the village. This area was where the old hospital was and also where, on 25th August 1590,  the act of foundation of the church and the convent, with a...

Church of St. Eustachio


Church of St. Eustachio
The church is dedicated to the martyr Saint Eustace, the patron saint of Scanno - who is celebrated on September 20th - and also to Santa Maria di Loreto. It is located close to largo dell’Olmo, in the area of the village known as ‘Terra Vecchia’. We do not know the year of its foundation, but it is mentioned with the double title of Sant’ Eustachio and Santa Maria in the papal bulls of...

Church of Santa Maria Annunziata or Madonna del Lago


Church of Santa Maria Annunziata or Madonna del Lago
The picturesque church dedicated to the Virgin of the Annunciation is on the shores of Lake Scanno, a place traditionally known for its miracles. In ancient times there was a steep path carved into the rock, which was the only link between Scanno and the neighbouring villages. Tradition has it that in the most dangerous section of the path, the Scannese placed in a natural gap a little statue...

Church of Santa Maria della Valle


Church of Santa Maria della Valle
Dedicated to the Virgin, the most important church in the village takes its name from the Valley of Carapale which it overlooks. Today it is located along the main road - called the ‘doughnut’  because of its shape - and it originally stood outside the early medieval area, located in the upper part of the village. There is no definite information about the year of its foundation, but it was...

Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie


Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
The 18th century church of Santa Maria delle Grazie - an interesting octagonal shape, is unique in Scanno and among very few in Abruzzo.  It owes its present name to the brotherhood of the same name, active in the village since the 16th century, and which in 1913 moved its headquarters to here from an ancient and no longer adequate Santa Maria delle Grazie, which is located between Via Silla...

Church of Santa Maria di Costantinopoli


Church of Santa Maria di Costantinopoli
Located on one side of Piazza San Rocco, the oldest in the village, the church of Santa Maria di Constantinopoli is known for its fine 15th-century fresco of the Madonna and Child.  We do not know the exact year of construction of the small church, but we presume that the foundation of the building is from the first decades of the 15th century. That view is supported by the fresco of the...