The building, located on a hill, presents a broad, two-tone plastered front, characterized by large panels with rounded corners which are evenly distributed on the three levels of the house. At the centre, raised slightly above the street level by a step, is the majestic stone, semi-circular, arched portal, inserted into the facade and flanked by a pair of pilasters rising from high bases, from which branch off the support ledges of the balcony. Above the keystone is a fanlight - a recurring motif in various forms in the portals of Scanno - topped by a central mask. On the first and second orders are two regular rows of balconies with wrought iron railings and curved gabled pediments - the middle one of which on the main floor, is of a different length. The façade ends with a large carved cornice.
Historical NotesThe building is named after Antonio Silla, who was one of the famous residents of Scanno. Born in 1737 into a family of rich sheep owners who devoted himself to legal disciplines and became known in the academies of the capital as a deeply erudite historian. He was the author of several publications, including "Il diritto di punire o sia risposta al trattato dè delitti e delle pene del sig. Marchese di Beccaria”, "which appeared in 1777 and aroused much debate in intellectual circles of the time.
The building, especially because of its mighty door and balcony, is a remarkable example of the artistic wealth produced in this mountain village between the 17th and 18th centuries which coincided with the period of economic prosperity due to sheep farming, dairy production and also that of woollen clothes. This is expressed particularly in the abundance and variety of decorations of the portals, windows and balconies, not only of the noble residences, but also of the common housing.