The palace is part of the dense urban fabric, made up of buildings of different sizes which are huddled up against its side and to the rear.
The facade, in a neoclassical style, is divided into three main levels with a mezzanine - according to a type that characterizes the most noble residences in Scanno - and is highlighted by a carved cornice. The bottom section is decorated, while the upper span is plastered and ends with a cornice supported by corbels and decorated with plant motifs.
At the centre stands the majestic entrance portal, which is accessed via two symmetrical side ramps featuring a beautifully carved wooden door and two monolithic granite columns on high bases. The arch has smooth blocks arranged radially. The entablature is decorated above with ledges supporting the central balcony with balustrades, and is concluded by a triangular pediment of pure neoclassical style.
It is intersected by an ordered sequence of portals on the ground floor, opened in the 1970’s, and rectangular windows protected by iron bars with a convex profile on the mezzanine level. There is a series of balconies on the first and second floors, topped by carved ledges and protected by wrought iron railings with decorative motifs and floral scrolls.
Historical NotesLocated along the main street of the village, known as the "doghnut" due to its shape, near largo dell’Olmo - where in medieval times meetings were held at the University - the imposing building is named after the di Rienzo family, who were one of the greatest exponents of the bourgeoisie in Abruzzo which reached notoriety and power thanks to their flocks of sheep, the transhumance and their huge estates. With the abolition of feudal power, which finally reached Scanno in 1810, the Di Rienzos began to supplant the old feudal lords through their systematic and gradual acquisition of land and intensive herding, which led them to them becoming in the course of the 19th century the most remarkable and powerful family in the village.
The present building was built for the wedding of Francesco Di Rienzo, which took place in 1900. It was built on the remains of what was probably the former Baronial Palace, home of D'Affilito family and then the Caracciolo family from Melissano, who were Scanno landowners. It was built between the 17th and 18th centuries and reproduced in the 1692 painting by Pacichelli.
In the building, which is still owned by the Di Rienzo family and who stay here there from time to time, was a large library on the history of Scanno and many valuable works of art, including the famous painting by Patini called ‘The Orphans’ which today is in Rome, in a private collection.